Thursday, March 24, 2016

Galatians 1, The True Gospel

Around 49-50 CE, Paul wrote a letter to the synagogue-churches planted in southern Turkey on his first missionary journey.  This is preserved as Paul's "epistle" (letter) to the "assemblies" (Greek ekklesia) in the province of Galatia.

Galatians 1:1-5, Introduction
Paul, an apostle--sent not from men nor by man, but by Jesus Christ and God the Father, who raised him from the dead-- and all the brothers with me, To the churches in Galatia: Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ, who gave himself for our sins to rescue us from the present evil age, according to the will of our God and Father, to whom be glory for ever and ever. Amen.

In the ancient days of the Roman empire, personal letters tended to begin with the form, "X to Y, greetings.  About ..."  Paul begins by identifying himself as an apostle ("one who is sent out", a missionary) and then makes it clear that the letter is addressed to the "churches in Galatia", presumably a collection of churches in various towns in the region.  Paul emphasis, at the very top of the greeting, his authority as one personally sent by Jesus and God to the Galatians.  (Compare this introduction with a much shorter introduction to the letter to the Philippians.)

Most likely the letter was to be carried from church to church, to be read aloud to the members of the small local "synagogue" or "assembly" of believers.  It is possible Paul copied out several copies.

Paul's greeting emphasizes Jesus Christ, both as an explanation of Paul's role (and reason for writing) and also as the topic of his letter.  Here he gives a blessing, "Grace and peace to you..." as a result of Jesus Christ's gift.  Even in this very early letter, Jesus is referenced as having provided a sacrificial gift that rescues the believers from evil.  The blessing is an encouragement; it is serious but uplifting. 

"Amen" simply means, "So be it."  (In my college days, we might have said, "Right on!")

Galatians 1: 6-10, Scolding
I am astonished that you are so quickly deserting the one who called you by the grace of Christ and are turning to a different gospel--which is really no gospel at all. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned!

 Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

After Paul's greeting at the beginning of his letter, the tone changes quickly.  Paul accuses his fellow-believers in Galatia from deserting the gospel for something else, something offered as a "gospel", but really false.  Imbedded in the accusation is a suggestion that the people of the Galatian churches have bought into something manmade and not divine.  It is easy for people to appear religious and encourage a certain asceticism.  Paul is having none of that.

Galatians 1: 11-17, Conversion
Paul transitions from a scolding in verses 6-10 to a more personal account and argument.  And so begins the longest personal account of Paul, detailing his experience with the Jewish Messiah and what happened afterwards.  This account is drawn out of Paul because of his concerns about the direction his new converts have taken, bowing to a more "religious" instruction than he had provided.

I want you to know, brothers and sisters, that the gospel I preached is not of human origin.  I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.

For you have heard of my previous way of life in Judaism, how intensely I persecuted the church of God and tried to destroy it.  I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people and was extremely zealous for the traditions of my fathers. But when God, who set me apart from my mother’s womb and called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, my immediate response was not to consult any human being.  I did not go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went into Arabia. Later I returned to Damascus.

This "Damascus Road" account is repeated in various forms in the New Testament.  Luke covers it in Acts 9 and then describes Paul repeating the story in Acts 22 before a Roman commander who had arrested him.  The concept is repeated throughout Paul's letters -- he had been the best Jew possible, zealous for the Jewish traditions, until the Jewish Messiah gave him a new direction. In this passage, Paul emphasizes that this message was delivered personally by the Christ and was not the result of Paul seeking to follow other religious leaders.

But, after some time in Arabia and Damascus, Paul does eventually go to Jerusalem to meet the leaders of the new church there.

Galatians 1:18-24, Meeting with Cephas
Then after three years, I went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Cephas and stayed with him fifteen days. I saw none of the other apostles—only James, the Lord’s brother. I assure you before God that what I am writing you is no lie.   Then I went to Syria and Cilicia. I was personally unknown to the churches of Judea that are in Christ. They only heard the report: “The man who formerly persecuted us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy.” And they praised God because of me.

From the very beginning of the new church, as described in Acts, that erratic fisherman, Peter, has been recognized as a leader of the new messianic movement.  In Jerusalem (a meeting probably described in Acts 9:26-30) Paul meets with both Peter (Cephas) and James.  The meeting seems to have been successful; the leaders apparently respond positively. After that, Paul goes north, first to Antioch in Syria, at the invitation of Barnabas, and then with Barnabas into Asia Minor on the first missionary journey (Acts 13.)

But there are still some issues in the background; new conflicts will arise.  Paul addresses them in the next chapter.   

No comments:

Post a Comment