Tuesday, May 3, 2016

I Corinthians 13, The Most Excellent Gift

Paul's concern about divisions in the church, along with his response to a question on spiritual gifts, converges into a brief description of a "more excellent way" mentioned at the end of chapter 12.

Here, in the climax of his letter, is the most excellent way to live in the guidance of the Spirit of God. As we read this, note the rise in Paul's voice, the passion he expresses for this one characteristic, love, genuine compassionate concern for others.

1 Corinthians 13: 1-3, Love wins
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

(The NIV footnotes stress that everywhere the word "tongues" is given in translation, it could also be translated "languages.")  The languages of men would presumably be the thousands of various languages in use across the globe; the languages of angels is presumably something different altogether!  But none of  these touch the actions of love.

1 Corinthians 13: 4-7, The actions of love
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.

Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

In verse 5, the phrase is "not easily angered."  It does not say, "Love does not get angry."  There are times (rarer than we might admit) when true love reveals anger.

1 Corinthians 13: 8-13, Love is eternal, transcending time
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.  For we know in part and we prophesy in part,  but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears.

When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me.

 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Love is transcendent.  It outlasts prophecies, languages, knowledge.  In that sense, it is a true eternal characteristic of God. If we are tempted into divisive bickering, like the Corinthians, we are to recognize that high above that path is the path of Love and we should seek that path, not the low, bickering path the Corinthians had chosen.

Following this high point, Paul will return to the controversial questions posed on the gift of "tongues".

2 comments:

  1. Some of the most beautiful language ever penned. I am always awed and humbled when I read this passage. How far short I fall! I aspire to live my life according to the description of love contained here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. And I find it interesting that this beautiful passage is a result of Paul's concern about the divisions in Corinth and his response to questions about spiritual gifts. It is as if he suddenly realizes that both problems have the same ultimate answer!

    ReplyDelete