Friday, September 29, 2017

Philemon, Reconciling a Former Slave

As we end our study of Paul's letter to the church in Colossae, it is appropriate that we look at another letter of Paul's, sent to Colossae, but sent to an individual names Philemon.  The letter was apparently written about the same time as Paul's letter to the Colossians as the carrier (and subject) of this letter is the same individual, Onesimus, who carries Paul's letter to Colossae.

The letter to Philemon usually appears in the New Testament at the end of a sequence of personal letters of Paul addressed to individuals, after the letters to Timothy and Titus.  

This is an interesting letter, steeped in the first century culture, indicative of Paul's emphasis on the gospel over all things, but making clear his wishes regarding a certain escaped slave. (Wikipedia has an interesting article on this letter.)

Philemon 1-3, Greeting
Paul, a prisoner of Christ Jesus, and Timothy our brother, To Philemon our dear friend and fellow worker, to Apphia our sister, to Archippus our fellow soldier and to the church that meets in your home: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

Archippus is mentioned in the letter to Colossae; presumably the church mentioned here is the church in Colossae.  If so, one might note that these churches were relatively small at the time.

Philemon 4-7, May your faith continue to grow!
I always thank my God as I remember you in my prayers, because I hear about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints. I pray that you may be active in sharing your faith, so that you will have a full understanding of every good thing we have in Christ.

Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints.

This paragraph is one of both prayer and confidence, typical of Paul.

Philemon 8-10, An appeal to Philemon
Therefore, although in Christ I could be bold and order you to do what you ought to do, yet I appeal to you on the basis of love. I then, as Paul--an old man and now also a prisoner of Christ Jesus--  I appeal to you for my son Onesimus, who became my son while I was in chains.

Onesimus apparently means "useful".  But it is most likely a proper name here.

Philemon 1-3, Greeting
Formerly he was useless to you, but now he has become useful both to you and to me. I am sending him--who is my very heart--back to you.  I would have liked to keep him with me so that he could take your place in helping me while I am in chains for the gospel.  But I did not want to do anything without your consent, so that any favor you do will be spontaneous and not forced.

Paul is playing on the word "Onesimus" or "useful."  Now Onesimus, a Messiah-follower and hopefully soon freed, is useful.  Formerly as a slave and pagan he was not.

Philemon 15-16, Please recognize Onesimus as a (free) brother!
Perhaps the reason he was separated from you for a little while was that you might have him back for good-- no longer as a slave, but better than a slave, as a dear brother. He is very dear to me but even dearer to you, both as a man and as a brother in the Lord.

Paul's request is clear.  But it is a request, not a command.

Philemon 17-18, Restitution
So if you consider me a partner, welcome him as you would welcome me. If he has done you any wrong or owes you anything, charge it to me.

To press his case, Paul offers to cover any debts (financial or otherwise) carried by Onesimus.

Philemon 19-21, Greeting
I, Paul, am writing this with my own hand. I will pay it back--not to mention that you owe me your very self.

I do wish, brother, that I may have some benefit from you in the Lord; refresh my heart in Christ. Confident of your obedience, I write to you, knowing that you will do even more than I ask.

In most of his letters, Paul has a scribe (amaneusis) write out his letters.  Then, towards the end of the letter, he signs it, writing in his own hand.  If Paul had eye problems, he presumably wrote this part rather largely on the expensive papyrus page. Most likely Timothy is the scribe here.

Philemon 22, Allow me to stay with you
And one thing more: Prepare a guest room for me, because I hope to be restored to you in answer to your prayers.

Paul presses his case even further by asking to stay in Philemon's house.  

Philemon 23-25, Other greetings
Epaphras, my fellow prisoner in Christ Jesus, sends you greetings. And so do Mark, Aristarchus, Demas and Luke, my fellow workers.

The grace of the Lord Jesus Christ be with your spirit.

Here is more evidence that this letter is traveling with the more general letter to Colossae: the same people are mentioned at the end of both letters.

One might wonder how Paul's strong request was received.  Did Philemon, recipient of both a personal letter and the more general letter to the Colossian church, agree to Paul's requests?  I am not aware of any documented response but the very existence of these letters today, recopied in the church in Colossae and passed on to history, would indicate that Philemon was eager to agree to Paul and happy to pass on these letters to others.

Scot McKnight has a commentary on this very brief New Testament book. OverviewBible.com has a summary of the short letter here, emphasizing how Paul acts out, in difficult practical situations, his understanding of the gospel. There is a nice summary at the Bible Project, including a a 6-1/2 minute video that explains the setting for the letter.

No comments:

Post a Comment