Thursday, February 8, 2018

John 6: 34-40, The Bread of Life

After feeding over five thousand people, the crowds follow Jesus, seeking more miracles. 

John 6: 34, Give us more bread! 
“Sir,” they said, “always give us this bread.”

Jesus had responded by pointing out that in the old days of manna in the wilderness, it was God who was the actor. But the people still focus on food....

John 6: 35-40, The Bread of Life
Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. 
36 But as I told you, you have seen me and still you do not believe. 
37 All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away. 
38 For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me. 
39 And this is the will of him who sent me, that I shall lose none of all those he has given me, but raise them up at the last day. 
40 For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day.”

All four gospels report on the stories and metaphors Jesus used to teach the crowds following him. But John's gospel, above all, will emphasize these teachings.  Here Jesus directly identifies himself as the spiritual food that everyone needs.  Those who identify with Jesus will be led by him into eternal life; in that life they will have no "hunger" or "thirst" but be satisfied.

With the religious leaders' emphasis on Moses and traditions, Jesus explains that he is there, visibly in front of them, and yet they still do not believe.  The teaching continues with an emphasis on openness and acceptance ("whoever comes... I will never drive away", "I shall lose none of those...".)

Jesus' mission is to "come down from heaven" and do God's will, offering eternal life, emphasizing that this includes the resurrection at a future "last day".

No comments:

Post a Comment