Monday, March 19, 2018

John 12: 20-29, Preaching to Gentiles

Jesus, after raising Lazarus from the dead, enters Jerusalem for Passover. He has entered Jerusalem riding on a donkey, praised by the people as the new Messiah.

John 12: 20-22 Pharisees and Greeks
Now there were some Greeks among those who went up to worship at the festival. 
21 They came to Philip, who was from Bethsaida in Galilee, with a request. “Sir,” they said, “we would like to see Jesus.” 
22 Philip went to tell Andrew; Andrew and Philip in turn told Jesus.

John reports some Greeks visiting Jesus.  These men would certainly not be Jews.  But little else is reported about this meeting.  John's point seems to be that non-Jews were beginning to hear about Jesus and were attracted to him.

The Greeks (gentiles) go first to Philip, who goes to Andrew and then the two of them go to Jesus.

John 12: 23-26, The Seed must die
Jesus replied, “The hour has come for the Son of Man to be glorified. 
24 Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds. 
25 Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life. 
26 Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.

I assume that this teaching is given to the gentiles.  But it is not clear if that is so. In context, their appearance stimulates this teaching.

Eternal life requires death in some way.  The seed is a metaphor. Here the death of the seed is linked with giving up their life ("hating" it) to follow Jesus, as a servant.

John 12: 27-29, Glorify your name!
“Now my soul is troubled, and what shall I say? ‘Father, save me from this hour’? No, it was for this very reason I came to this hour. 
28 Father, glorify your name!”

Then a voice came from heaven, “I have glorified it, and will glorify it again.” 
29 The crowd that was there and heard it said it had thundered; others said an angel had spoken to him.

In the midst of angst and anxiety, Jesus admits that it is for this very event, this upcoming hour, that he entered the world.

The reassurance he receives is a "voice from heaven", interpreted by bystanders in various ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment