Monday, March 26, 2018

John 13: 31-38, Love One Another

Jesus is meeting with his disciples in an upstairs room for the Passover meal. Judas has just left to betray Jesus.

John 13:31-35, The second mark of a Christian
When he was gone, Jesus said, “Now the Son of Man is glorified and God is glorified in him. 
32 If God is glorified in him, God will glorify the Son in himself, and will glorify him at once.

33 “My children, I will be with you only a little longer. You will look for me, and just as I told the Jews, so I tell you now: Where I am going, you cannot come.

34 “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.”


Jesus says that "now" is the Messiah glorified. Is "now" that night? Or the next day in the crucifixion?In context, it probably means the crucifixion and resurrection together. 

NIV footnotes regarding verse 32: Many early manuscripts do not have "If God is glorified in him".

Jesus then explains, once again, that he is leaving them. As Jesus is planning his leave, he gives "a new command".  This is the second "mark" of a Christian, that we love one another.  This will be a central theme is the writings of the apostle John.

John 13:36-38, Peter's question
Simon Peter asked him, “Lord, where are you going?”

Jesus replied, “Where I am going, you cannot follow now, but you will follow later.”

37 Peter asked, “Lord, why can’t I follow you now? I will lay down my life for you.”

38 Then Jesus answered, “Will you really lay down your life for me? Very truly I tell you, before the rooster crows, you will disown me three times!

Peter, of course, wants to know where Jesus is going.  (Is he slipping away to the Gentiles?) Jesus merely says, "you can't follow at this time."

What is Peter’s reaction to Jesus’ second command? Peter is focused on staying close to Jesus as an obvious disciple, and is completely unprepared for what is about to happen. His bluster about dying for Jesus has it all backwards.

The chapter ends somewhat down or "dark". We have had some sober teachings from Jesus and a statement about betrayal. Chapters 14 to 17 continue with very important and intimate teachings, especially now that Judas has left.

No comments:

Post a Comment