Friday, March 2, 2018

John 9: 24-34, Blind but Now I See!

In Jerusalem Jesus has upset the Jerusalem authorities by healing a blind man on the Sabbath. The Jewish leaders continue to question the man and eventually his parents. The parents, aware of the dangers of claiming that Jesus is the Messiah, simply stick to the facts. Yes, that is their son. Yes, he was blind. Yes, he now sees.

John 9: 24-35, I was blind but now I see!
Again the Pharisees called the man who had been blind to come to them. “Give glory to God by telling the truth!” they said. “We know that the man who healed you is a sinner.”

25 He replied, “I don’t know if he is a sinner or not. I do know one thing. I was blind, but now I can see!”

26 Then they asked him, “What did he do to you? How did he open your eyes?”

27 He answered, “I have already told you. But you didn’t listen. Why do you want to hear it again? Do you want to become his disciples too?”

The charge in verse 24, "Give glory to God..." is (according to the NIV footnotes) a "solemn charge" on the level of an oath to tell the truth. (An Old Testament example of this phrase occurs in Joshua 7:19.)

The blind man gives a response that is now a classic, used by many a Christian. "No, I don't really understand it.  But once I was blind. Now I see!"

Under repeated questioning, the blind man finally responds with sarcasm. Maybe the religious leaders are asking all these things again so they can become a disciple?

John 9: 24-35, I was blind but now I see!
28 Then they began to attack him with their words. “You are this fellow’s disciple!” they said. “We are disciples of Moses! 
29 We know that God spoke to Moses. But we don’t even know where this fellow comes from.”

30 The man answered, “That is really surprising! You don’t know where he comes from, and yet he opened my eyes. 
31 We know that God does not listen to sinners. He listens to the godly person who does what he wants them to do. 
32 Nobody has ever heard of anyone opening the eyes of a person born blind. 
33 If this man had not come from God, he could do nothing.”

34 Then the Pharisees replied, “When you were born, you were already deep in sin. How dare you talk like that to us!” And they threw him out of the synagogue.

Once again the Pharisees make the claim that they have to correct lineage, Abraham, Moses.... But the miracle cannot be ignored. The previously blind man endorses the miracle and the One who did it, pointing out that this could only come form God.

 The response of the Pharisees returns to the original question that Jesus asked. The Pharisees claim that the man was blind because of sin, therefore he has nothing good to say to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment