Thursday, April 5, 2018

John 15: 9-17, My Command

Jesus explains to his disciples that he is the "vine", the source of all spiritual knowledge and growth. We grow like a wild vine if we are linked to him and relying on him.

John 15: 9-13, My commandment
“As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. 
10 If you keep my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have kept my Father’s commands and remain in his love. 
11 I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete. 
12 My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. 
13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends. 

The first mark of the Christian is that we love each other. We should start there. "Greater love has no one than this..." is a statement that Jesus will demonstrate his love for those around him whom he has chosen, not just as disciples, but as friends.

Those who stay "in the vine" must then remain loving, caring for others.  This is a farewell speech; after Jesus is gone, the disciples' ability to work together, on the same Kingdom mission, will be sorely tested.  Sometimes caring for one's teammates may even lead to sacrificial death; Jesus will demonstrate this.

We grow like a wild vine if we are linked to him and relying on him.

John 15: 14-16, My friends
You are my friends if you do what I command. 
15 I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master’s business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you. 

16 You did not choose me, but I chose you and appointed you so that you might go and bear fruit—fruit that will last—and so that whatever you ask in my name the Father will give you. 

As Jesus prepares to leave, he emphasizes the friendship, family level of their relationship. Yes, he is the Messiah and they are the servants, but now they are friends and will begin acting, themselves, in Messianic, priestly ways.

Verse 16 repeats earlier promises. They have been appointed to be successful in their ministry with spiritual resources readily available.

John 15: 17, The command
This is my command: Love each other.

The command is once again repeated.  It is central to this passage.

There is a warning included in the command, "Love each other."  If one follows Jesus, and along the way, insists in acting in love, the world will turn away.  The World has other goals.  The citizen of heaven should not expect to gain power and control in this realm.  (And the citizen of heaven does not want power and control in the next realm!)

No comments:

Post a Comment