Tuesday, April 10, 2018

John 16: 24-33, Overcomers

The disciples didn't understand Jesus's timetable.  The timetable is still unclear, but the temporary defeat, followed by victory, is described by John later in his gospel.

Two statements, seemingly contradictory, appear together here.  "You will grieve..." and "ask me anything." The disciples are alerted to a pending time of grief, while assured that this is all part of a plan.

John 16: 24-28
24 Until now you have not asked for anything in my name. Ask and you will receive, and your joy will be complete.

25 “Though I have been speaking figuratively, a time is coming when I will no longer use this kind of language but will tell you plainly about my Father. 26 In that day you will ask in my name. I am not saying that I will ask the Father on your behalf. 27 No, the Father himself loves you because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. 28 I came from the Father and entered the world; now I am leaving the world and going back to the Father.”

There is a transition of some type that will occur rapidly.  Soon the figurative speech will end.  In this new age, the disciples will ask God directly for aid and it will be freely given.

John 16: 29-32, You came from God
29 Then Jesus’ disciples said, “Now you are speaking clearly and without figures of speech. 30 Now we can see that you know all things and that you do not even need to have anyone ask you questions. This makes us believe that you came from God.”

31 “Do you now believe?” Jesus replied. 32 “A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.

The disciples' statement of affirmation is met with a reality check.

I wonder which disciple was speaking here.  Apparently his opinion is reflected by most of them?

John 16: 33, I have overcome the World
33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”Jesus has just said that he is the True Vine, the source of all spiritual truth and power.  But staying close to Jesus, relying on him -- that will not be easy.

The final statement is a clear summary of this passage and possibly a theme for John.  The Logos has overcome the World.  Do not expect the World to bring safety or fulfillment, but expect this of the Logos.

What exactly is the new relationship here between the disciples and Jesus-God?

For further thought and meditation: What exactly is to be our relationship with the world? It is a beautiful world, with many good things in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment