Thursday, May 10, 2018

John 21: 15-19, Simon, Do You Love Me?

Jesus has reappeared to the disciples several times in Jerusalem. John records one more appearance, this time later in Galilee.

Jesus already has breakfast cooking for them, with a fire and some fish already on it.  He also has bread for them but invites them to add some of their fish to the meal.  In the final chapter of The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, C. S. Lewis has the lion, Aslan, turn into a lamb and re-enact this scene. (See this blog post.)


John 21: 15-19, Simon, do you love me?
When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”

“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”

16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”

17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”

Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”

Jesus said, “Feed my sheep. 
18 Very truly I tell you, when you were younger you dressed yourself and went where you wanted; but when you are old you will stretch out your hands, and someone else will dress you and lead you where you do not want to go.” 
19 Jesus said this to indicate the kind of death by which Peter would glorify God. Then he said to him, “Follow me!”

This is a strange conversation, recorded by John standing nearby. Peter, who when frightened, denied Jesus three times, is now being given instructions, with a three-times emphasis. Jesus has a plan for Peter but Peter is unsure as to what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment